I’m more than a little bit of a YouTube addict, but most of the people I watch are either makeup and fashion channels, dudes doing stupid stuff, a la Good Mythical Morning, or BookTubers, who, coincidentally, I get most of my book tags for this blog on.
I really love watching BookTubers, and honestly the entire reason I started this blog was because I really like and admired what BookTubers do but don’t really like making videos as a medium (not because I think I’m ugly or anything, I’m just better at writing). So this seemed like a nice compromise for myself.
But I thought, hey Kell, if you were inspired to make this blog by BookTubers, how come you’ve never talked about any? Well, me, you make a fine point. So I think this post is long, long overdue.
So without further ado, let me tell you my favorite BookTubers to watch!
1. HardbackHoarder (Ali)
Ali is a wonderfully quirky and spectacularly stylish BookTuber who’s a genuine joy to watch. She does a lot of book tags, a lot of which I’ve stolen or are planning to steal for this blog, and she does a few unboxings as well. Her recommendations are on-point, and even if there’s some books I love that she hated (Gone Girl, for example), I still love hearing her talk about them.
Some videos to get you started on Ali’s channel:
- GRAPHIC NOVEL SERIES RECOMMENDATIONS // EP 1
- ALICE BY CHRISTINA HENRY // NON-SPOILER REVIEW
- AUTHOR GOALS TAG // CAMP NANOWRIMO PLANS // TAG TUESDAY
- MOST DISAPPOINTING AND SHITTIEST READS OF 2016
- MY MUG COLLECTION // 2017
2. ProblemsofaBookNerd (Cece)
Cece is probably my favorite BookTuber of all time. I feel such genuine joy in my heart when I get a notification that she uploaded something. She just graduated from college, which is super exciting. I love her book hauls and unhauls and I really love when she features her girlfriend in videos because the two of them are adorable. She just has a great personality and I love watching her.
Some videos to get you started on Cece’s channel:
- I Bet You Can’t Guess My Favorite Disney Movie… | Disney Favorites
- 5 Things I Would Change About the Series? | HP Chats
- The Upside of Unrequited | Spoiler-Free Review
- My Reading Process + Reading Tips and Tricks
- Unpopular Opinions Book Tag (2017)
3. BooksandLala (Lala)
Lala’s not a regular mom, she’s a cool mom. I actually stole the Book Scavenger Hunt game from her channel (even though I know she didn’t create it, she’s the first channel I saw it on) for my library’s teen program, with, er, mixed results. Still, she has such a kind, comforting disposition and is great to watch when I’m feeling stressed out.
Some videos to get you started on Lala’s channel:
- Let’s Play a Game | Book Scavenger Hunt
- YA BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS | Hard Hitting Contemporary
- Dewey’s 24Hour Readathon + Short Book Recommendations
- Guide to Booktube Terms
- 50+ Upcoming Book to Movie Adaptations 2017
4. iLivieforbooks (Olivia)
Olivia is a relatively new BookTuber (she just started last year) but oh my goodness I’m glad I was pointed out to her channel. She has such good things to say, both about diverse books and reading habits. She also occasionally talks about movies and art, which is gorgeous. That being said, if you’re one of those weird people who somehow thinks drawing on/in books is an unforgivable sin, probably skip this channel, because she does absolutely beautiful cover redraws.
Some books to get you started on Olivia’s channel:
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas / Book Review
- Bookish Pet Peeves!
- How I Deface Books / Book Art
- More library going + less B&N?
- Should you read the Synopsis? / Discussion
5. PeruseProject (Regan)
Regan was the first BookTuber I followed; before that I was all about makeup and gamers like GameGrumps and Markiplier, which I’ve sort of grown out of. But anyway, she was really the one that pulled me forward in my YouTubery and opened me up to the magical world of BookTube. She has a great, positive personality and has super awesome recommendations.
Some videos to get you started on Regan’s channel:
- THE MAKEUP BOOK TAG!!
- The Book Cake Tag!
- My Book Bucket Reading List!
- Bookshelf Scavenger Hunt!
- Bookish Academy Awards 2017!!
6. missmareadsalot (Emma)
Oh my gosh this girl is adorable. Emma’s another BookTuber I like to watch when I’m stressed out or in need of some calm relaxation because her voice is so soft and nice. Plus, she lovesShades of Magic and The Raven Cycle as much as I do, which is a lot. Also, she replies to so many comments, and I really love YouTubers that interact with their audience, so that gives me a ton of respect and fondness for her. I won’t stop watching any time soon.
Some videos to get you started on Emma’s channel:
- What’s To Love About: The Shades of Magic
- Playlist Book Tag
- Favorite Quotes TRB Edition
- Books That Made Me Cry
- Rip It or Ship It BOOK TAG
7. Thoughts on Tomes (Sam)
Of all of these YouTubers, Sam’s the one that reminds me the most of myself, both in style and personality. She does like a few series that I really don’t, but that’s alright. I trust my boss with my life and of course valued her recommendation of it, but it was Sam’s review of When Dimple Met Rishi that really solidified my excitement about it. She’s also the one who inspired me to start doing Top 5 Wednesday, and I looove watching hers every week.
Some videos to get you started on Sam’s channel:
- Books That Would Make Good Video Games
- LGBTQ+ Reads
- When Dimple Met Rishi (Spoiler Free) | REVIEW
- This Savage Song | GUSH
- The Song of Achilles (Spoiler Free) | REVIEW
8. Little Book Owl (Catriona)
I really like watching Catriona’s channel (and isn’t that the most bomb-ass way to spell Katrina? Wowsa) when I’m in the mood for unboxings, because her unboxing videos are super nice and cute. I also really love the attention she gives to audiobooks, because I’ve been trying to get into audiobooks more lately. So definitely check her out!
Some videos to get you started on Catriona’s channel:
- TRY A CHAPTER | Unhaul Edition
- BOOKISH BUZZWORDS
- AUDIOBOOK RECOMMENDATIONS | A Guide to Audiobooks
- FICTIONAL FAVOURITES
- DNF’ing BOOKS
9. LilyCReads (Lily)
Lily doesn’t upload very often, but god, when she does, it sustains me for weeks. I think she’s the only BookTuber I go to specifically for bad reviews. Even if I liked the book (although I haven’t liked any of the ones she’s trashed so far) I would still love watching her rant about it. The top video I’ve linked below is the funniest BookTube video I’ve ever watched. She’s also known for throwing her books across the room when she hates them, so again, if you’re the sensitive type, avert your eyes.
Some videos to get you started on Lily’s channel:
- This is literally the worst book i’ve ever read..
- THE GIRL IN 6E | REVIEW
- RANT REVIEW: ELEANOR & PARK
- SHIT BOOKS THAT I HATE
- FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOKS